Ventures is a community-based program that operates under the 50/50 policy which stands for fifty percent development of daily living skills and fifty percent participant volunteerism and vocational experiences.
Ventures is a community based program designed with groups of three individuals and a Community Team Leader. Ventures offers 100% supervision and is solely based in the community. Each group of individuals is geographically close to each other and many activities take place in surrounding cities near their residence. Ventures also offers work training in the form of part time paid employment for those individuals that are interested in working in the community. Every group participates in some type of volunteer work: In places such as meals on wheels, local public libraries, food banks, retirement centers and churches to name a few.
In Ventures, participants learn safety skills, self-advocacy, mobility training and socialization skills. The clients are encouraged to help create the weekly schedule with their community Team Leader; incorporating their hobbies and interests.
Ventures program provides a flexible focused multilayered approach to integration that can:
- Be a transition step to community-based employment or other service options
- Be utilized as a situational assessment to identify the client's interests, as well as for barriers that may hinder the
- Provide the client with the knowledge and confidence to maneuver independently within their own community
- Aid in the development of long lasting acquaintances
- Create the opportunity to develop vocational experience in their community through volunteer work.
A 1 to 3 ratio ensures participants are safe and well supported in all situations that may occur. Daily schedules include participation of all group members and relate to specific domain, identified to address significant aspects of a person's life.